Death in service

How do I tell you about a death in service?

You should let us know about a death in service on the PEN007B form. Please make sure you include as much detail as possible and provide us with the original death certificate if it's available.

Death grant

If a member dies in service, a death grant will be due from the first day of their membership. The death grant will be three times the member’s actual pensionable pay (not full time equivalent if member was part time).

As the administering authority, we make the final decision about who to pay the death grant to. But, we take the wishes of the member into account.

Where the death grant is higher than £5,000 and payment is to be made to the estate, either a grant of probate, will or letters of administration will be required.

Benefits for a widow/er, civil partner, cohabiting partner & children

If there is a surviving spouse, civil partner or cohabiting partner, benefits will be due upon receipt of appropriate certificates. If there are eligible children, a children’s pensions will also be due.