Shropshire County Pension fund

Taking care of your Local Government Pension in Shropshire

Appeals (IDRP)

If you are unhappy about a decision that has been made about your pension, please contact the pensions team.

Many problems are easily resolved by us. This could be because your problem is based on a misunderstanding or incorrect information, which we can sort by talking this through.

If you are still unhappy, you can ask for a decision to be looked at under the formal appeals process. The name of this process is the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP).

To follow the appeals process:

  • Firstly, you should write to the person chosen by whoever made the decision you want to appeal. You must do this within six months of the decision, or lack of decision, you are appealing. (A longer period may be considered if the nominated person thinks it’s reasonable).
  • This person will look at your complaint and tell you of their decision. If you are unhappy with the outcome you may, within six months, ask us (Shropshire County Pension Fund) to look at it.

Read our appeals booklet for more information.

If you would like to start the appeals process, please use the appeals form.

I have followed the appeals process but my problem is still unresolved?

If you have a complaint or dispute which has gone through the appeals process, but you are still unhappy with the response, you can contact The Pensions Ombudsman (TPO).

TPO solely deals with pension complaints. It can help if you have a complaint or dispute about the administration (including transfers) and/or management of your pension.

Some examples of types of complaints it considers include:

  • auto enrolment;
  • benefits: incorrect calculation/refusal/failure to pay or late payment
  • charges/fees;
  • death benefits;
  • failure to provide information/act on instructions;
  • ill health;
  • interpretation of scheme rules/policy terms;
  • misquote/misinformation;

There is no financial limit on the amount of money that TPO can make a party award you. Its determinations are legally binding on all the parties and are enforceable in court.

Contact with TPO about a complaint needs to be made within three years of when the event(s) you are complaining about happened – or, if later, within three years of when you first knew about it (or ought to have known about it). There is discretion for those time limits to be extended.

The Pensions Ombudsman can be contacted at:

10 South Colonnade, Canary Wharf, E14 4PU

Tel: 0800 917 4487



You can also submit a complaint form online.