Shropshire County Pension fund

Taking care of your Local Government Pension in Shropshire

Changes in employment

These pages are for employer use only. Member information can be found on the home page.

A change in employment may mean different things for different employers.

If an employee finishes in one job and begins another the next day this is generally seen as a post number change and we will add the new post number to the employee’s existing pension record.

However, if you as an employer, think there’s been a change in employment, you will need to complete a leaver’s form. We will then open a new pension record for the new job and defer the current pension benefits. The employee will then have the option to join their records together if they wish.  

If the employee has less than two years’ LGPS membership, including any transferred from other pension schemes, they cannot choose to leave it separate from their new pension account.

Please make sure that you are aware of regulation 10 of the 2008 regulations. This allows a member with final salary service to request their final pay be based on the highest of the three consecutive years from the last 13 years. This will apply where they move jobs and get a new post number. It will not apply if they are classed as starting a new employment.