Employees requesting to join the 50/50 scheme
These pages are for employer use only. Member information can be found on the home page.
From 1 April 2014, employees have the choice of paying into the main LGPS scheme or the 50/50 section.
The 50/50 section allows an employee to pay half of their contributions and build up half of their pension benefits.
If an employee is interested in joining the 50/50 section please refer them to our website.
- Employees with multiple jobs can be in the 50/50 section for one employment and the main section in the other(s)
- Employees are put back into the main scheme automatically following your auto-enrolment date. You will need to make employees aware of this change and let them know that they need to fill in another 50/50 form
- Employer’s contribution rates are the same regardless of whether or not a member is in the main or 50/50 section of the Scheme.
Changing between the 50/50 and main section
Employees should automatically be put into the main section of the LGPS scheme when they begin a new job (for auto enrolment and re-enrolment purposes). However, they can go into the 50/50 section and back into the main scheme as many times as they like. They will just need to fill in the relevant form to do this.
What you need to do when you receive a 50/50 or main section form?
Whenever a member changes between one section of the scheme to another you need to:
- Ensure the employee’s contributions are amended on your payroll system
- Ensure that the figures on your iConnect extract are adjusted accordingly
At the end of each year, we will then use the total accumulative figures from iConnect to calculate the amount of pension each member has in each section of the scheme.