Shropshire County Pension fund

Taking care of your Local Government Pension in Shropshire

Family benefits and changes to marital status in the 2015 Scheme

As part of your membership of the 2015 Scheme your family may also be entitled to certain benefits. In particular, in the event of your death, your loved ones may be entitled to a survivor’s pension.

Please remember to notify the pensions team of any changes to your marital status and you may want to review and update your expression of wish form.

Death Grant

If you were to die in service as a member of the 2015 Scheme, a death grant would be payable. This would normally be three times your pensionable pay as at the date of death.

You can nominate a person or persons who you wish to receive your death grant, however the Shropshire Fire & Rescue Service has absolute discretion as to whom to pay the death grant to. Your wishes will be taken into account when a decision is made.

A death grant may also be payable if a former firefighter dies within five years of receiving pension payments.

Survivor’s Pensions and Other benefits

Spouse and Partner pensions

When a 2015 Scheme member dies a pension can be paid to a surviving spouse, civil partner or nominated partner.

Child’s Pension

A child may be  eligible to receive a pension if under the age of 18, or below age 23 and in full-time education. The pension would cease at age 23 or whenever the full time education ends.  Please see the full guide for information regarding ‘eligibility’.

 Bereavement Pension

For the first 13 weeks following death, the spouse or partner will receive a ‘bereavement pension’. In effect, this tops up their pension to the level of the deceased’s pensionable pay (death in service) or pension (death after payment comes into payment).


In the event of divorce, dissolution of civil partnership, annulment or judicial separation, a court may order a pension scheme to pay all or part of a member’s entitlement to a pension to his/her former spouse or civil partner. This could be in accordance with an ‘earmarking’ order or a ‘pension sharing’ order.

You may be asked for specific information about your 2015 Scheme benefits for divorce/dissolution purposes and your fire authority’s pension administrator can provide pensions information if requested.

To request a CETV or to discuss your LGPS pension in the circumstance of a divorce contact the pensions team or alternatively see the Divorce Booklet.

Further information

Divorce Guide