Shropshire County Pension fund

Taking care of your Local Government Pension in Shropshire

Appeals (Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure)

These pages are for employer use only. Member information can be found on the home page.

If a member is unhappy about a decision made by their employer, we encourage them to contact the pensions team or their employer to discuss their concerns before making a formal complaint. Many problems that members have are resolved in this way as they may be the result of a misunderstanding or incorrect information, which can be explained or put right easily.

If a member is not satisfied, they have the right to ask for the decision or problem to be looked at again under the formal complaint procedure. The complaint procedure’s official name is the Internal Dispute Resolution Procedure (IDRP). The process is as follows:

  • in the first instance the member should write to the individual person who has been nominated by each employer to deal with appeals. They must do this within six months of notification of the decision or the act or omission about which they are complaining (or such longer period as the nominated person considers reasonable);
  • the nominated person should consider the complaint and notify the member of his or her decision. If the member is still dissatisfied with that decision, they may, within six months of the date of the decision, apply to the Administering Authority to have it reconsidered.

More information

Appeals Booklet